The Rehoboth Beach Reads Short Story Contest is sponsored by Browseabout Books, Rehoboth Beach, DE.
The goal of the Rehoboth Beach Reads contest is to showcase good writing while creating a great book for summer reading. One of the most popular activities for residents and visitors is reading on the beach, and the contest seeks to collect the kinds of short, engaging stories that help readers relax, escape, and enjoy their time at the beach.
Each story must incorporate the chosen theme and also have a strong connection to Rehoboth Beach (writers do not have to live in Rehoboth). A panel of judges select the best entries, which are published in a professionally designed and edited paperback book.
- Submission must fit the theme “Beach Secrets.”
- Submission may be fiction or nonfiction, but must be plausible as a “beach read” (engaging, entertaining, and/or humorous).
- No poetry, erotica, children’s literature, or religious material.
- All work must be original, unpublished, and free from libelous material (a signed release will be required).
- Length must be 500–3,500 words.
- Work must be submitted via email, preferably in Microsoft Word.
- Work should be publication-ready (in final form and free from grammatical, spelling, and structural mistakes).
- Writers retain copyright but must grant first publication rights if their work is selected.
- There is no guarantee of publication.
- Limit of three entries per person.
- Publisher reserves right to edit for grammar and spelling; writers will be given an opportunity to review changes before publication.
- No entries will be accepted after the deadline: midnight, July 1, 2021 (entries received at or after 12:01am July 2 will be disqualified).
- Each entry must be accompanied by a $10 fee.
- Writers do not have to reside in Rehoboth, but the written piece must include a substantive connection to the area.
- Work will be judged on creativity, quality of writing, suitability as a beach read, and fit with the theme.
Enter the Contest
- Email the story (include your name and phone number) to: email@example.com
- Pay the $10 fee by either:
- Mailing a check payable to “Cat & Mouse Press” to 33289 W. Edgemoor St., Lewes, DE, 19958, or
- Paying via PayPal: