Submissions for Beach Pulp are closed.
Introducing Beach Pulp, an anthology of amazing stories set in towns along the Delmarva coast.
Beach Pulp Call for Submissions
Beach Pulp will be a collection of short stories that take place in the Delmarva beach region and are reminiscent of the tales in vintage pulp magazines (e.g. Amazing Stories, Black Mask, Weird Tales, Dime Mystery, and Argosy). We’re looking for fun, campy beach reads that mimic the style of those old stories. The book’s cover will reflect this retro look, as shown in the sample cover above.
- Submission must fit one of the following genres:
- Sci fi (aliens, spacemen, robots, rocket ships)
- Magic, Supernatural, Ghosts
- Retro Crime/Gangster/Hardboiled Detective/FBI/Secret Agent
- Heroes and Villains
- Horror/Weird Menace
- Retro Romance (especially 1920s-1930s)
- Damsel (or Gentleman) in Distress
- Crazed Animals/Monsters
- Stories must be set in or connected to one of the following towns: Bethany Beach, Dewey, Ocean City (MD), Rehoboth Beach, Cape May (NJ), Lewes, Fenwick Island, Assateague/Chincoteague, OR take place in the waters/air space near one of those towns.
- Mentions of actual places (restaurants, inns, museums, stores, etc.) is encouraged, but keep descriptions positive. If description is disparaging, create a fictional location. All characters and character names should be fictional.
- No graphic sex.
- All work must be original and free from libelous material (a signed release will be required). Previously published stories are allowable, if the author owns all rights.
- Story length should be 750–4,500 words.
- Work must be submitted via email, preferably in Microsoft Word, to email@example.com.
- Work should be as free from grammatical, spelling, and structural mistakes as possible.
- Writers retain copyright but must grant one-time publication rights if their work is selected.
- Story selection will be made by the publisher and the associate editor, with input from volunteer readers. There is no guarantee of publication.
- Publisher reserves the right to provide developmental editing, if needed, and to edit for grammar and spelling; writers will be given an opportunity to review/approve changes before publication.
- The deadline for submissions is August 31, 2018.
- Authors whose stories are chosen for publication will be paid $50 or $75 (depending on story length) for one-time use of the story (author retains rights) and will receive one free copy of the published book.
- Authors will be allowed to purchase additional copies of the book at a 30% discount, with no minimum or maximum. No purchases or fees are required.
Submit Your Story
Submit your story via email: firstname.lastname@example.org